The Omega Diving Center in Almyrida is a PADI 5* Diving Resort and we have dived with them several times. They dive Elephant Cave which has fossilised elephant teeth and stalactites, an old skeleton wreck (SS Minnewaska) where you’ll see lion fish (yes, they have made it to the Mediterranean), and several other sites.
Whichever site you are going to dive, the plan is much the same:
- Assemble at the Dive Center to meet your guides, fill out the medical forms and sort out out your kit.
- Kit loaded onto the truck and take the minibus to the dive boat. This is generally in Almyrida but if the weather is not so good may involve a trip to Souda for a larger boat.
- Boat ride to the dive site followed by briefing and then in the water for the first dive.
- A packed-lunch and water are provided by Omega, and then you can enjoy the views for the rest of the surface interval.
- Another briefing and back into the water for dive number two.
- Boat-ride back to shore, bus to the dive center, fill in log-books and plan next day of diving.